The album has achieved platinum status in Canada, selling over 100,000 copies in the first month of its release, and sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide.
BackgroundNotable appearances include Robert Wyatt, Jools Holland, Georgie Fame, David Crosby and Graham Nash, as well as original Pink Floyd member Richard Wright and a member of an early incarnation of Pink Floyd, Bob Klose. Guy Pratt, who has done studio work and toured with Pink Floyd, also appears. Chris Thomas and Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera assisted with production.
Much of the album was recorded in Gilmour's private studio aboard his houseboat Astoria. The track "Smile" was heard briefly in an unmastered form on the BBC2 show Three Men In A Boat which retraced a trip on the River Thames that passed the houseboat.
Orchestrations on the album were arranged by noted Polish film composer Zbigniew Preisner and conducted by Robert Ziegler
David Gilmour's page on myspace.com features a single edit of the title track for his new album and is available for all to listen to. Single edits of "Take A Breath" and "This Heaven" were issued to coincide with the U.S. leg of the tour, while "Smile" was the second single in the UK.
Copies of the album initially purchased from Best Buy in the U.S. contained an exclusive bonus audio CD with the instrumental track Island Jam which was subsequently released on the CD single for "Smile" in Europe.
On an Island entered the UK charts at #1, giving Gilmour his first ever chart-topping album outside of Pink Floyd. It reached #1 on the European Chart, and #2 in Canada, Portugal and Iceland. It has also provided Gilmour with his first U.S. Top 10 album, reaching #6. The album has achieved platinum status in Canada and has sold over 1,000,000 copies worldwide.
The album also produced two minorly successful singles; the title track "On an Island" and "Smile", both peaking at #72 on the UK Singles Chart. "On An Island" also peaked at #27 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart
The album was re-released in November 2006 with a bonus DVD of live tracks and other material.
 Track listing
- "Castellorizon" (Gilmour) – 3:54
- "On an Island" (Gilmour/Samson) – 6:47
- "The Blue" (Gilmour/Samson) – 5:26
- "Take a Breath" (Gilmour/Samson) – 5:46
- "Red Sky at Night" (Gilmour) – 2:51
- "This Heaven" (Gilmour/Samson) – 4:24
- "Then I Close My Eyes" (Gilmour) – 5:26
- "Smile" (Gilmour/Samson) – 4:03
- Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, percussion, Hammond Organ, bass guitar, Polly Samson on vocals, Willie Wilson on drums and orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.
- "A Pocketful of Stones" (Gilmour/Samson) – 6:17
- "Where We Start" (Gilmour) – 6:45
- Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, bass guitar, percussion, Hammond organ, Andy Newmark on drums and orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.
 Bonus DVDLive from the AOL Sessions, New York, April 2006.
- "On an Island" (Gilmour/Samson)
- "This Heaven" (Gilmour/Samson)
- "Smile" (Gilmour/Samson)
- "Take a Breath" (Gilmour/Samson)
- "High Hopes" (Gilmour/Samson)
- "Comfortably Numb" (Gilmour/Waters)
- "Astronomy Domine" (Barrett)
- "Take a Breath" (Gilmour/Samson)
 TourRichard Wright, Phil Manzanera and Guy Pratt joined Gilmour on tour to promote the album. The tour also featured Dick Parry, who played saxophone on Pink Floyd songs "Money", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Us and Them" and "Wearing the Inside Out", and Jon Carin, who in 1980s and 1990s toured with Pink Floyd and helped in studio. Zbigniew Preisner conducted orchestra in concert in Gdansk. Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason joined for an encore of the London show. David Bowie made a guest appearance in London, performing vocals on Comfortably Numb and Arnold Layne, the latter subsequently released as a live single. David Crosby and Graham Nash also appeared on select dates, reprising their studio performance of "On An Island", as well as singing on three other songs.
The tour was documented by the release of a live DVD, Remember That Night recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in May 2006 and a live album, Live in Gdańsk a recording of the final show of the tour at the Gdańsk Shipyard, Poland in August 2006.
 SetlistSet one:
- Speak to Me
- Breathe In the Air
- Time / Breathe (Reprise)
(At the beginning of the tour the above three tracks were played during Set 2)
- On an Island (entire album)
(At the beginning of the tour the On an Island album made up the entire first set)
Set two: The second set featured a selection of these tracks:
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) (Always present in the set—occasionally performed with David Crosby and Graham Nash)
- Astronomy Domine (Added during the second European tour, after the UK tour.)
- Dark Globe (Performed during July & August, after the death of Syd Barrett.)
- Wot's... Uh the Deal?
- Wearing the Inside Out
- Fat Old Sun
- On the Turning Away (one-off, unrehearsed performance in Venice, Italy on 12 August 2006)
- Arnold Layne (was added at the end of the U.S. leg with Richard Wright on lead vocals although a performance at the Royal Albert Hall on 29 May 2006 featured David Bowie on vocals)
- Coming Back to Life
- High Hopes (Always present in the set)
- The Great Gig in the Sky (performed on 30th/31 May 2006 with Mica Paris and during the early European dates, but was dropped until the London dates.)
- Echoes (Always present in the set, always the show-closer before the encore.)
- Wish You Were Here (Always present in the set)
- A Great Day for Freedom (one off performance in Gdansk, Poland on 26 August 2006)
- Find the Cost of Freedom (only performed with David Crosby and Graham Nash)
- Comfortably Numb (Always present in the set—performance. On 29 May 2006 at the Royal Albert Hall David Bowie sang lead vocals on the verses.)
- David Gilmour - Guitars, vocals, cümbüş, alto saxophone on "Red Sky At Night"
- Richard Wright - Piano,Vocals
- Phil Manzanera - Guitars, vocals, Glass harmonica on "Shine On"
- Guy Pratt - Bass guitar, vocals, guitar on "Then I Close My Eyes", Glass harmonica on "Shine On"
- Jon Carin - Keyboards, vocals, lap steel guitar
- Dick Parry - Tenor and baritone saxophones, Keyboards, Glass harmonica on "Shine On"
- Steve DiStanislao - Drums, percussion, vocals